Features of NAFEN Alumina Nano Fibers
Easily the most important breakthrough that NAFEN represents, is the ability to manufacture nano enhanced materials on an industrial scale. Although there are a few materials that provide some performance results, there is no other company or product that can achieve the volumes and quality that have been achieved with NAFEN. This fact opens the door to new levels of innovation and product development for coatings, epoxies, fiber reinforced composites, advanced ceramics, engineered plastics and other products that have had limited access to useful nano materials.
NAFEN Dynamic Enhancers provide the desired nano effect in your products without the unfortunate trade-offs that historically have plagued the first-generation nano materials. One of the main advantages of this patented technology is that you can develop your own method of using it if the requirements of your manufacturing process fall outside of the scope of our NAFEN Dynamic Enhancer Dispersions.
Main Physical Properties
- Pure Crystaline alumina (Al2O3) nano fibers (gamma phase)
- Specific (BET) surface area of 155m2/g
- Thermal stability in gamma phase up to 1200 C
- Fiber diameter of 10–15nm
- Faceted surface with vacant aluminum bonds
- Fiber lengths more than 100mm
- Dispersed particle lengths 400–600nm
- Single crystal tensile strength of 12GPa
- Single crystal tensile modulus of 400GPa
- Unidirectional fiber alignment
- Easily wetted and dispersed in resins and liquids
- No surface modification required for use in most applications
- Chemically inert and resistant to aggressive chemicals
- Bulk density of 0.1 – 0.4g/cm3; Specific gravity of 3.98g/cm3
- Resistant to fire
- No micropores on the surface
- Thermal conductivity of pure alumina (30 W/m•K)
- Industrial production volumes produced in a non-toxic environmentally friendly process
Optimum performance in most polymer applications is reached at NAFEN concentrations of 0.4% to 0.6% (percentage by weight) in the final polymer formulation. Improvements range from +30 to +100% in:
- Flexural and tensile strength (and modulus)
- Fracture toughness
- Fire retardancy
- Elongation at break
- Hardness (wear/abrasion resistance)
- Corrosion resistance
- Impact toughness
- No effect on color and transparency
- NAFEN is chemically inert so it won’t interfere with conventional reinforcing agents, pigments, etc.
Advantageous cost-to-benefit ratio
The return for your investment makes NAFEN an uncomplicated decision. With NAFEN, fewer resources are required in production. It’s an effective solution that needs only a very low loading level (0.4-1%). All of which means you can manufacture a better product with a stronger bottom line.
What Makes NAFEN Unique
NAFEN offers a
It offers a compelling competitive advantage, because this patented technology significantly increases the performance of mechanical properties without the unfortunate trade-offs that historically have plagued the first-generation nano materials.
NAFEN can either replace other nano materials like CNTs, nano silica and nano clays; or it can work in compliment to them. Since NAFEN is both crystalline and fibrous, it will not only make materials significantly stronger, it will have better interlocking capabilities with the surrounding matrix, and therefore provide better fracture and wear-resistance.
NAFEN Enhancers are
easy to implement
The enhancers have nano fibers homogeneously predispersed in liquid base materials, which makes them easy and safe to handle. Manufacturing with NAFEN Dynamic Enhancers provides clear benefits with fewer additional resources—even at low loading levels of NAFEN fibers. Since the dispersions blend in with normal production materials without process changes, you can keep your process intact and use fewer resources to dramatically improve your product. Moreover, it allows you to use one enhancer category (resin, solvent, water, etc.) for many final products with the same base material.
Strong internal discipline combined with a highly qualified technical team ensures you’ll have the level of service and professionalism you expect from a trusted partner. A superior approach to quality management guarantees an excellent and consistent product delivered on-time. Because of its unlimited production scalability, ANF is able to deliver industrial volumes of NAFEN products to meet the growing market demand.
Nafen Enhancers vs. Masterbatches of 1st Generation Nano Materials
Typical Process Flow
NAFEN Dynamic Enhancers increase the performance of base materials and provide strategic improvements for downstream producers